Postgraduate in Design of Bars and RestaurantsELISAVA Barcelona School of Design and Engineering
Postgraduate in Design of Bars and Restaurants
All available course dates
About this program
Postgraduate in Design of Bars and Restaurants
Specialize in interior design in the field of gastronomic restoration, and create proposals that contribute to the perception of a unique experience for the user, based on consolidated knowledge of the interior design sector.
Restaurant interior design is not an easy specialty. Due to its special characteristics, based on the intimate relationship between production and consumption whose final objective is the well-being of the diner and the perception of a unique experience, the field of restoration requires specific preparation, which is what justifies this teaching proposal.
. The Postgraduate in Design of Bars and Restaurants is a specialized course that aims to train interior design professionals in relation to gastronomy and addresses the depth of the special casuistry of this dynamic and thriving sector. It trains people prepared to respond and make proposals to different clients in a timely manner, contributing a tangible and intangible plus to the business expectation, based on its consolidated knowledge of the sector.
This subspecialization in interior design is a formative novelty that is motivated by the real situation of the interior design sector itself, which is increasingly diversified and demanding.
Official university degree or equivalent. Basic knowledge in 3D interior design software. Professional experience, motivation letter and resume.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the institute website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
The Postgraduate Diploma in Design of Bars and Restaurants is structured in the following modules:
Module 1. Ephemeral design.pop up bar
- Teamwork: Design of a pop-up bar for ephemeral uses in a given place.
Module 2. Narrative design Bar;
Inner Space Narrative
- Basic notions about the birth of restaurants and bars, and their evolution to the present day.Specific analysis of the bars and restaurants of Barcelona/Catalonia/Spain since the 80s as a singular phenomenon.
- Individual work: The bar as a joint in literature, painting and cinema.Comprehensive recognition of a model and generation of an image as a synthetic expression of a bar story.Includes construction details of the bar counter section.
The evaluation of this module will be done on individual work.
Module 3. Concept Design.gastronomic space
Analysis of the order.Relationship with the client, the type of business.The main interlocutor: the chef, the bartender.Analysis of the area, type of product, type of food, economic level, type of operation, capacity and capacity.Competition, innovation opportunities.Applicable current legislation.
- Search for the reason (Concept History) that will cover the project in all its facets.Inspiring motifs,brainstorming, theming.Environmental perspective, applied ecodesign.Testing of the concept in the spatial organization of the restaurant
- Teamwork: Design exercise: Proposal for an innovative restaurant model based on the concept, in a given place.
The evaluation of this module will be made on the deliveries of teamwork.
Module 4. Final project.Restaurant
- Analysis and development of the different parts of a restoration project.Layout of the plant, accessibility, customer flows, service and merchandise.Zoning: dining space, kitchen area, office, changing room, box and service areas, sinks, storage, garbage, etc.
- Incorporation of facilities.Electrical installation.Installation of plumbing.Installation of gas.Sanitation and scrapping.Smoke extraction.Air conditioning and air renewal.music installation.Installation of places of service.cameras.Alarm.home automationMaintenance forecast.
- Construction monitoring and on-sitedecisions .Work details, modifications.End of work.Subsequent usability improvements.
The evaluation of this module will be integrated into the evaluation of the Final Project.
4.2.Furniture and equipment.contractchannel
- Choice ofcontractfurniture and customization.Own furniture design.
Equipment and decoration
- FF&E (Furniture, Fixtures and Equipment).Choice and integration of luminaires in the lighting project.Selection or integration of the facing and elements of the table.
- Decoration elements.Commission or selection and integration of artistic works.Integration of signaling and labeling.
- The evaluation of this module will be weighted between the individual work proposed and the application of its contents in the final project.The professors of the module will complement the tutorials of the project.
- Most common current typologies.Recent international trends.Schematic map of the sector.
- Review of the recent editions of the Restaurant & Bar Design Awards.The evaluation of this module will be integrated into the evaluation of the final project.
Students will be proposed to develop a restoration project in a real place in Barcelona.Students will be assigned a certain gastronomic type to develop their project: signature restaurant (creative cuisine), homemade Catalan cuisine restaurant orquality organicfast-food chain restaurant.The premises will have to be fully resolved.The project will be elaborated on the basis of the notions taught in modules 1 to 4 to interrelate the academic progress with the praxis of the assignment.
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the school website for more information.
Postgraduate Degree in Design of Bars and Restaurants. Awarded by UVic-UCC.
ECTS credits: 30
- Train interior design professionals for the gastronomic field in its broadest conception.
- Achieve a fruitful relationship between the professional and the various actors involved in the business of the gastronomy sector.Understand the needs of the promoters, but also the dynamics of the staff (cooks, bartenders, waiters, room staff, etc.) and, of course, the wishes of the customers.
- Get a creative preparation to undertake the assignments from a solid conceptual perspective, which provides a common thread with the subsequent technical development of the project.
- Provide extensive knowledge of the technical kitchen equipment sector, as well as the Contract channel, construction elements, and furniture and lighting, specialized in dining rooms and bar areas.
- Acquire the necessary notions and basic criteria on the technical systems and facilities involved in this type of premises: air conditioning, smoke evacuation, fire prevention and other services with special attention to criteria for lighting, insulation and acoustic control.
- Knowing how to solve both interior projects of a new plant and those consisting of the total or partial redesign of a premises.The reform rate of this type of premises is usually high (every 10 years), whether it works well, to achieve optimization and maintenance, or to review the design and find new formulas for success.
- Know in depth the casuistry of the catering sector in all its modalities: restaurants in its various categories -from luxury to the daily menu-, dining rooms, bars in its various modalities, fast-food, bar counters, food corners, fast-food courts, food markets, tasting shops, food and drink bars, fixed or mobile, terraces, etc.It deals with an analysis not only from the point of view of architectural and design requirements, but also from the functional point of view (cooks, room managers) and ownership, according to the different types of exploitation chosen.
Message the school
About this institute
ELISAVA Barcelona School of Design and Engineering
ELISAVA, Barcelona School of Design and Engineering, promotes education, knowledge and research in the fields of design, engineering and communication. With more than 50 years of experience, it has trained more than 17,000 students and it has established itself as...
Why study at ELISAVA Barcelona School of Design and Engineering
If you want to study engineering or design, this is your home.
Of course, you're not just going to study here... you're going to discover theories and tendencies, you're going to question pre-established ideas, you're going to experience new ways and build alternatives. We will give you the best tools to achieve it; your creative energy sets the pace.
You are our present and the future. We want to empower your abilities, lead you and connect you with the professional environment to enable your dreams so that they come true. We believe in a better world and we believe we can transform it. We're ready.
Want to know more about Postgraduate in Design of Bars and Restaurants? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!