Nature and Travel Writing MABath Spa University
About this program
Nature and Travel Writing MA
We aim to give you an understanding of issues and approaches to the representations of peoples, other species, habitats, places, cultures and environments in various kinds of writing. You’ll graduate with the ability to apply what you’ve learned to your own professional practice.
- A mix of thematic topics represented by a variety of writers
- A balance between historical and contemporary writing
- Issues raised by eco-tourism, conservation and environmentalism
- Issues related to the experience and representation of people, wildlife and places in specific locations in the UK and elsewhere
- The genres and context of contemporary and historical nature and travel writing
- The history of our connections with the environment and the natural world.
Chat live with students from Bath Spa University
Do you want to know what it's like to study at Bath Spa University? Visit the link below to student ambassadors and get answers to all of your burning questions about academic and student life.
- Writing in the Field
- Context, History and Genres in Creative Non-Fiction
- Advanced Travel and Nature Writing
- Professional Skills in Travel and Nature Writing
- Portfolio and Reflective Journal.
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
International students Full time: £15,600
Program Intended Learning Outcomes (ILOs)
- A1 planned and completely or substantially written a varied portfolio of short pieces or a single manuscript of travel and/or nature writing
- A2 written short pieces of travel and/or nature writing suitable for class discussion and workshopping
- A3 engaged in precise, analytical, critical and sensitive group discussion of various aspects of their own and other students’ creative writing, in a variety of settings including in-person seminar and online workshop
- A4 engaged in analytical class discussion of selected examples of travel and nature writing, with a view to comparing their own work with these examples and identifying strengths and weaknesses in consequence
- A5 identified and analysed problems and challenges arising from their own choices of form, genre and subjectmatter, and developed practical responses to those challenges
- A6 carried out, as appropriate, research in support of their chosen mode of creative writing
- A7 carried out writing in the field, making use of notes and short draft material, and developed those notes through editing and expansion
- A8 engaged with the professional context relevant to their chosen mode of writing; considered their relationship as writers to the relevant cultural industries
The three residential weeks include fieldwork opportunities followed by related writing exercises. In addition, we encourage you to develop a Program of your own, and to engage in at least one major trip during the course of the year, which is linked to two assignments.
Work placements, industry links and internships
You’ll have the opportunity to make connections with key practitioners and commissioners in your field, though no formal internships are available.
Message the school
About this institute
Bath Spa University
Bath Spa University is a top UK university for creativity, culture, enterprise and education. Based in a World Heritage city and connected to a network of international partners, Bath Spa University ensures that its graduates are socially engaged global citizens....
Bath Spa University
Want to know more about Nature and Travel Writing MA? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!