Recreation and Leisure ServicesGeorgian College Applied Arts and Technology
About this program
Recreation and Leisure Services
Students are introduced to skills and knowledge needed to succeed in recreation and leisure services. The curriculum includes: community recreation, outdoor adventure, arts, culture, heritage, leisure, fitness, retirement activities, life enrichment in long term care, adaptive-therapeutic recreation, facility operations, programming and event planning. Business administration fundamentals are incorporated with courses in marketing, accounting, technology, human resources, entrepreneurship and research. Experiential learning opportunities include a paid co-operative work semester, field trips, and participation in a number of events or programs working with children to seniors. Students gaincompetenciesin leadership and group facilitation by designing, delivering and evaluating diverse, inclusive, relevant, environmentally sustainable recreation leisure and wellness initiatives.
OSSD or equivalent with
- Grade 12 English (C or U)
Mature students, non-secondary school applicants (19 years or older), and home schoolapplicants may also be considered for admission. Eligibility may be met by applicantswho have taken equivalent courses, upgrading, completed their GED, and equivalency testing.
Applicants who have taken courses from a recognized and accredited post-secondaryinstitution and/or have relevant life/learning experience may also be considered foradmission.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the college website
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Technology in Administration
- Research in Recreation and Sport
- Introduction to Recreation
- Program Planning
- Accounting Fundamentals
- Fitness and Wellness
- Introduction to Marketing
- Event Planning
- Recreation Across the Lifespan
- Administration Practices
- Arts Culture and Heritage in Recreation
- Recreation Leadership and Group Dynamics
- Inclusive and Adaptive Recreation
- Outdoor Recreation and Environmental Sustainability
- Community Development
- Professional Opportunities and Issues
Tuition fee: $17,142.67 CAD
Credential: Ontario College Certificate
Program Learning Outcomes
The graduate has reliably demonstrated the ability to:
- develop, implement and evaluate inclusive recreation, leisure and wellnessprograms and events for individuals, groups and communities which respond toassessed needs, interests, abilities and that use available resources and incorporatebest practices;
- analyze, develop and implement marketing strategies to reach diverse individuals,groups and communities for programs, events, services and facilities using currentcommunication technologies;
- contribute to the development of fiscally sustainable and responsible recreation,leisure and wellness programs, events and services using current and relevantprinciples and practices of business, finance and social entrepreneurship;
- supervise, lead and support the development of staff and volunteers involved withrecreation, leisure and wellness programs, events and services;
- apply administrative and customer service skills to support the delivery ofrecreation, leisure and wellness programs, events and services;
- apply safety and accessibility practices to the efficient operation and administrationof recreation and leisure facilities and settings;
- promote the benefits and values of recreation, leisure and healthy active living andrecommend inclusive programs, events and services to individuals and groups;
- apply community development strategies which engage citizens and communitypartners while advocating for healthy communities;
- develop strategies for ongoing personal and professional development as arecreation and leisure services professional;
- utilize environmentally sustainable practices;
- select basic entrepreneurial strategies to identify and respond to new opportunities.
Career opportunities include: retirement home and long term care activity director/life enrichment, adaptive/therapeutic recreation, facility and parks operations, municipal programmer, administrator in community, arts, heritage and cultural organizations, leader, director, facilitator at registered charities, athletics in education institutions, fitness and healthy/active lifestyle centres, private and commercial clubs, event planning services, recreation supervisor- youth organizations, correction facilities, resorts-sport and recreation manager, outdoor and adventure recreation.
Message the school
About this institute
Established in 1967, Georgian College (Canada) is a public college with 125+ market-driven programs offered to over 13,000 full time students including about 4,500 international students from 60 countries. Its 100-acre flagship campus, located in Barrie, is just an hour...
Georgian College Applied Arts and Technology
Want to know more about Recreation and Leisure Services? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!