Hospitality and Tourism Management Applied Sustainability, CertificateHighline College
About this program
Hospitality and Tourism Management Applied Sustainability, Certificate
Sustainable development can be understood as development that meets the needs of humanity today without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their needs including enjoying environmental and socio-cultural resources. The United Nations World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) has identified tourism, which is the world s largest industry and one that is disproportionately important to developing countries and less economically secure peoples, as the most integral component of sustainable development. The UNWTO defines sustainable tourism as Tourism that takes full account of its current and future economic, social, and environmental impacts, addressing the needs of visitors, the industry, the environment, and host communities. Leveraging the importance of tourism to global sustainability, there have been three identified pillars of sustainability: People, Planet, and Profit. This certificate will ensure learners are well-versed in all three areas of sustainability and able to identify the role of tourism in global security and development. The paradigm of sustainability will be used in all coursework.
- Learners will be able to employ sustainability metrics situationally in environmental, socio-cultural, and economic cases.
- Learners will conduct themselves in accordance with professional ethics and values of global sustainability including utilizing the sustainability paradigm during decision-making.
- Learners will utilize the fundamental vocabulary and operating principles of sustainability.
- Learners will explain and employ the principles of professionalism and best practices relevant to sustainability.
- Learners will explain the importance of sustainability as applied to industries and global power dynamics.
- Learners will maintain an industry relevant knowledge-base via news sources, professional associations, and emerging trends.
- This information does not substitute for meeting with a faculty adviser.
- Students must achieve a cumulative 2.0 GPA and a minimum 2.0 GPA in each core course to attain a certificate or AAS.
- Not all classes are offered every quarter, at night, online, or on the weekends.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the college website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Professional-Technical Core Courses
- Introduction to Hospitality/Tourism
- Sustainable Tourism and Development
- Local Environmental Issues and Impact
- Global Environmental Issues
- Recreation and Park Operations
- Nonprofit Event Planning
- Sustainability and the Food Supply Chain
- Food as Medicine
- Travel Geography
Please check the program webpage for more information about its courses.
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the college website for more information.
Please visit the college website for more information about tuition fees
About this institute
Highline College prides itself as being the 5th most diverse college in the entire USA. It is located in the breathtaking Pacific Northwest, which is home to renowned national parks, a stunning coastline and peninsula, a rainforest, the North Cascade...
Why study at Highline College
- Award-winning college (ranked in the top 150 community colleges in the USA in 2021)
- Individual advising to help you meet your goals
- New on campus student housing
- University Transfer Pathways with many four-year university partners
- Over 120 programs, certificates and degrees and still growing
- U.S. high school diploma awarded after completing a 2-year degree with no additional requirements.
- Active student life with many activities, programming, communities and leadership opportunities
- Beautiful location just next to Seattle and the Puget Sound waterway
- Internship &, scholarships opportunities
- Unique OPT, CPT and internship opportunities
Be the first to write a review!