About this program
Why would you choose International Tourism Management?
Our program prepares students to best address the future needs of the global tourism industry, which focuses on the efficiency of the academic system as well as the industry relevance of the education and students’ needs regarding employability. You will engage with cutting-edge topics such as experience design, the sharing economy, smart cities, innovation in recommender systems and online booking platforms, as well as virtual reality-enhanced tourism experiences. Building on recent developments in new media technology, you will learn to critically analyze the impact of technology on tourism destinations and societies. Develop your research skills, strategy design, implementation, and organizational management, and learn how to apply corporate social responsibility in the global business environment.
From Foundation to Specialization
The program challenges MSc students to grow and develop from students to industry players by introducing them to carefully selected mentors in the industry excellence program. The program offers courses designed to introduce students to the core of tourism management. Furthermore, Modul University students have access to cutting-edge specializations that will enhance their employability in up-and-coming sectors such as sustainable tourism, as well as digitization and tourism. This degree also provides the foundation and qualification for you to continue your studies in a PhD program.
Step 1: Master Admissions Requirements by Country
Whether you are applying to Modul University Vienna as a national or international student you will need to satisfy our Master's admissions entry requirements. Please contact us to see what entry criteria apply to you.
Step 2: Application
Apply using MU's online application portal.
Fill in all required fields and be prepared to upload the following documents:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of Motivation
- Academic Qualifications
- Proof of English proficiency
- TOEFL - Internet-Based Test 88 points
- IELTS - band score 6.5 (no sub-score under 6.0)
- Cambridge Certificate (Certificate of Advanced English) -from Grade C (a min. of 180 points)
- Pearson Academic – min. 75 points
- Duolingo English Proficiency Test – min. 112 points
- Other proof of C1 level proficiency e.g. at least 2 years of secondary or higher education in English (assessed case by case)
- Copy of Passport
- Passport-sized photograph
- Two Letters of Recommendation
Please make sure that your application is complete. Incomplete applications cannot be considered.
Exceptions: If not available yet, the English test result may be submitted later on. In such cases, the most up-to-date transcripts must be submitted and provisional admission may be granted until the pending document is submitted.
Please note that all documents must be submitted in English. Transcripts are also accepted in German.
Step 3: Application Review and Interview
The admission process includes the reviewing and evaluating of each application on an individual basis for an applicant's abilities as a student. If approved, you’ll be contacted by an admissions team member soon thereafter in order to schedule a personal interview at the campus or a video Skype interview.
The interview will give the university the opportunity to clarify issues arising from the application as well as permit an assessment of the personality profile of the applicants. It will also ensure that applicants understand the expectations with regard to their chosen program. It is also the chance for applicants to ask any further questions.
Step 4: Admission Decision
Usually once per week, the admissions committee decides on admission based on previous education performance, the motivation and general impression, extracurricular activities, interview performance, and academic aptitude of the applicant. If approved, admissions documents will be sent to the future student.
Our deadlines are based on the average length it takes to get a visa, however, if you already have a valid visa to study in Austria then please get in contact with us.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
MSc in International Tourism Management students must complete the required Core Courses and a selection of Enrichment Courses as part of their curriculum:
- Management and Research Fundamentals
- International Tourism
- Innovation and Change Management
- Sustainability in Tourism
- Master Thesis
Specializations and Enrichment Courses
MSc in International Tourism Management students have the option to focus on one of five specialization areas. A minimum of 15 ECTS points must be completed from one specialization area in order to qualify for a certificate, and an additional 3 ECTS can be completed from another area of specialization. For a general MSc in International Tourism Management, students must complete 18 ECTS points made up from elective courses offered in any of the five specializations. The following specializations are available for MSc in International Tourism Management students:
- Digital Marketing and Social Media
- Entrepreneurship, Innovation, and Leadership
- Innovation and Experience Design for Tourism
- Real Estate Management
- Sustainable Management and Governance
Students can choose to complete a 6 ECTS optional internship. This will reduce the required ECTS of Module V: Enrichment Course with 6 ECTS.
The Industry Excellence Program pairs top students of the MSc programs with senior representatives of Austrian and international companies for on-the-job experience in your chosen field. Over the course of two semesters, you will be mentored by a senior-level manager to learn first-hand how management decisions are made in the modern business environment.
Please note, all application submissions are subject to a €50 application fee. The application fee will be deducted from the first tuition payment for all accepted candidates. For those who choose to decline a study offer or rescind their application, the fee is non-refundable.
Tuition Fees: €5,520 per semester (4 semesters) = € 22,080
Reductions on Tuition Fees:
Full Tuition Fee Reduction
- Save 7% of total tuition
- Eligibility: Applicants who who opt to pay their full tuition fee in one.
One Academic Year Tuition Payment Reduction
- Save 5% of tuition for one year
- Eligibility: Applicants who opt to pay ahead the tuition fee for one academic year.
Semesterly Tuition Payment Reduction
- Save 2% of tuition for one year
- Eligibility: Applicants who opt to pay ahead the tuition fee for one semester.
- 10% of the total tuition fees for following siblings
- Eligibility: Siblings of current MU students. This reduction is not related to a study program.
Exchange Alumni Grant
- Save 8% of total tuition
- Eligibility: Exchange students attending MU who decide to transfer and continue studying.
- Save 10% of total tuition
- Eligibility: This grant is at the discretion of our Admissions Committee for outstanding candidates. This grant is up to the discretion of the admissions committee and no extra application is required.
- Amount: depending on your grade point average (GPA)
GPA>95%: 40% of tuition
GPA>90%: 35% of tuition
GPA>85%: 30% of tuition
GPA>80%: 25% of tuition
GPA>70%: 15% of tuition
GPA<70%: 10% of tuition
- Eligibility: If you achieved an undergraduate degree at MU and choose to continue your studies at MU you are eligible for the Alumni Grant.
Career opportunities for graduates of the Master of Science in International Tourism Management:
- Tourism destination manager, museum manager, attraction manager, business founder, strategy consultant, resort director, digital marketing executive, various managerial positions in hotels and with airlines, marketing manger, sales executive, event manager
Message the school
About this institute
Modul University Vienna
Modul University Vienna is known as Austria's leading international private university in the heart of Europe. MU Vienna offers well-proven study programs for Bachelor, Master, MBA and Ph.D. levels. The international campus is English speaking, home to highly driven students...
Why study at Modul University Vienna
- Innovative business university with a focus on globalization, sustainability, digital transformation & entrepreneurship with a strong brand legacy within tourism & hospitality research and education.
- Diverse, international student population with over 77% international student body.
English-speaking campus from teaching to administration, student services, and socializing.
Want to know more about MSc in International Tourism Management? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!