PhD in TourismUniversitat Autónoma de Barcelona
PhD in Tourism
This programme provides an opportunity to conduct cutting-edge academic research into the tourism sector, which is in constant expansion and is now of major importance.
PhD in Tourism
Tourism is a strategically significant economic, social and territorial sector: in Catalonia and in Spain, for example, it accounts for around 10% of the gross domestic product. This growth in the tourism market and its economic, social, environmental and territorial repercussions are generating unique opportunities for research, which, in turn, produces new knowledge that can help to promote sustainability, innovation and efficient management.
This PhD programme sets out to improve knowledge transfer from the academic world to society, through the public and private agents operating within this sector. Public institutions (at local, regional, and autonomous-community levels) depend on such knowledge for social, sustainable strategic planning. Private institutions, for their part, seek new knowledge in the areas of product innovation and efficient management tools, optimal use of available resources, and close ties to the territory from a social and environmental perspective.
This PhD programme provides the following principal career options.
- University lecturer specialising in tourism
- Consultant and/or entrepreneur with expertise in the creation and development of tourism products
- Manager and director of tourism businesses and institutions
- Tourism planning officer and manager of public-sector policy on tourism
- Expert on sustainable and social tourism development
- Manager of the cultural heritage with links to tourism
- Analyst of tourism markets and commercialisation strategies
Objectives and justification
The PhD programme in Tourism has the following objectives.
- Train new researchers who can fill the gaps detected in academic and industrial research, and address the issues, future challenges and questions posed daily by the tourism sector.
- Promote innovative research that can help in adopting new tourism models based on social, environmental and economic sustainability
- Apply the scientific method to obtain tools, innovative products and planning strategies that can lead to a tourism sector that is outstandingly well organised, diverse, forward-looking and sensitive to social, environmental and economic issues – in contrast to the improvisation and lack of models that characterised the previous stage of tourism development in this country.
Approximately €540 per year, please visit fees breakdown for more information.
The ideal student profile should consist of the following: good academic record, research vocation, communication skills, language competence, and an ability to conduct quantitative and qualitative research (or a clear willingness to acquire this). It is also an advantage to have qualifications in Arts and Humanities, Social Sciences or Law.
In any case, a requirement for all students is direct or indirect prior knowledge of the tourism sector – especially from having taking a master's degree. Students must also have the necessary knowledge and skills concerning the basic concepts and tools for conducting competitive research in the field of tourism. For this reason, priority of access to the PhD programme in Tourism is given to applicants with a research-oriented master's degree linked to one of the programme's disciplines or lines of research.
Visit admission requirements for more information
Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (UAB) is known for its excellence in research and quality in teaching, and is a reference centre in Europe. The UAB is located only 25 minutes via public transportation from Barcelona’s city centre, a cosmopolitan metropolis...
Want to know more about PhD in Tourism? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!