Master's Degree in Urban TourismUniversitat de Barcelona
About this program
Master's Degree in Urban Tourism
The master's degree in Urban Tourism provides an opportunity to train in a very dynamic professional area with excellent future prospects, in a context of rapidly changing cities, increasing consolidation of the smart city model, and the emergence of the urban environment as a tourism hub. The course focuses specifically on urban tourism, unlike other courses that cover tourism in general. It includes two new areas: entrepreneurship in urban destinations; and knowledge generation and smart tourism.
The master's degree in Urban Tourism was designed to meet the increasing demand for formal knowledge of urban tourism at postgraduate level, in a context of rapidly changing cities, increasing consolidation of the smart city model, and the emergence of the urban environment as a tourism hub. The general objective is to train high-level professionals and researchers to work in existing and new professional roles, designing and managing projects related to tourism production and consumption and activities associated with tourism in urban environments.
The course differs from other master's degrees in tourism that have a broader focus and more general content. It is a specific course covering the main principles of urban tourism, the structure of production and consumption, and direction, planning and management. In addition, two fundamental new areas are included: entrepreneurship in urban destinations; and knowledge generation and smart tourism.
The master's degree is aimed at graduates in tourism and holders of related degrees in the human, social, economic and legal sciences who wish to complete advanced, specialized training in preparation for careers in various areas of urban tourism.
In accordance with Article 16 of Royal Decree 1393/29 October 2007, students must hold one of the following qualifications to access university master's degree courses:
- An official Spanish degree.
- A degree issued by a higher education institution within the European Higher Education Area framework that authorizes the holder to access university master's degree courses in the country of issue.
- A qualification from outside the framework of the European Higher Education Area. In this case, the qualification should be recognized as equivalent to an official Spanish degree. If it is not recognized, the University of Barcelona shall verify that it corresponds to a level of education that is equivalent to official Spanish degrees and that it authorizes the holder to access university master's degree courses in the country of issue. Admission shall not, in any case, imply that prior qualifications have been recognized as equivalent to a Spanish master's degree and does not confer recognition for any purposes other than that of admission to the master's degree course.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Scholarships & funding
For more information about scholarships, please visit the university website.
For more information about tuition fees, please visit the university website.
- To provide students with knowledge of the fundamental principles and dynamics of the city and the characteristics of tourism.
- To train students to master theoretical and conceptual tools for analysing and interpreting complex urban and tourism phenomena.
- To acquire training in the use of new information and communication technologies in urban tourism, the management of databases in tourism companies and institutions, big data, and components of the new 'smart destination' paradigm.
- To train students to make decisions in positions of responsibility in tourism companies and related institutions.
- To develop professional profiles that reflect the importance of innovation in business management, and the need to understand and apply tourism intelligence.
- To acquire training in the analysis and understanding of tourism production and consumption processes in cities, in order to identify strengths and weaknesses and enable students to undertake projects and initiatives related to the economic and institutional framework of tourism in urban and metropolitan areas.
- To train students to critically analyse, appraise and integrate the different aspects of complex issues.
About this institute
Universitat de Barcelona
The University of Barcelona, founded in 1450, is a comprehensive higher education institution that presents deep academic tradition coupled with frontier scientific knowledge. It is located in the city of Barcelona, one of the main cosmopolitan hubs in the Mediterranean...
Why study at Universitat de Barcelona
Why choose the University of Barcelona?
- It is the top-rated Spanish university in the most prestigious international university rankings.
- It is among the 25 best universities of the world with more than 400 years of history.
- It is situated in Barcelona, one of the best university cities in the World.
- It offers a wide range of course offerings: bachelor’s degree courses, master’s degree courses, doctoral programs and other specific courses and programs.
Universitat de Barcelona
Be the first to write a review!