PhD in Tourism
To conceptualize, implement and manage scientific research; to interact with interdisciplinary research teams to identify and formulate relevant scientific problems; to reflect on current best practices in the areas of management and tourism development; to stimulate innovation and development of new tourism products; to integrate into a rigorous and demanding study degree, research findings and community service, providing tourism-related businesses and organizations the necessary understanding for internationalization and the building of new business communities; to widen training in advance methods and techniques of analysis and applied research to tourism; in addition to the natural integration of the future doctors in the international scientific community, it is expected the hold by future doctors of top positions in the Tourism Sector.
Holders of a 2nd cycle, or legal equivalent, from a recognized higher education institution. Holders of 1st cycle in an appropriate subject - from a recognized higher education institution - with an academic or scientific relevant curriculum, able to assure a further satisfactory progression in the PhD program. Detainers of academic, scientific or professional curriculum, able to assure a further satisfactory progression in the PhD program.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
The main goal of this program is to provide PhD students with scientific and professional skills that enable them to contribute to the development of the tourism industry. The PhD program is structured around the market needs, and presents course units based on the scientific areas of Tourism, Management, Economics, Quantitative and Qualitative Methods.
The general objectives of the PhD Program in Tourism are as follows:
- To develop advanced research and analytical skills;
- To develop conceptual understanding, effective implementation and research management skills;
- To develop skills for conducting original research and the capacity the carry out peer reviews in international journals;
- To develop research group interaction skills of interdisciplinary scope in order to identify and undertake relevant research;
- To develop skills in securing research funding through the production of state of the art research proposals;
- To develop skills in presenting ideas and results to specialized and general audiences;
- To acquire skills related to entrepreneurship and self-employment.
At a specific level, the program also aims:
- To train executives to be able to articulate the process of tourism management in terms of spatial planning/territorial management and socio-economic development of destination areas;
- To reflect on current best practices in the areas of management and tourism development;
- To stimulate innovation and development in new tourism products;
- To integrate into a rigorous and demanding study degree, research findings and community service, providing tourism-related businesses and organizations the necessary understanding for internationalization and the building of new business communities;
- To widen the general understanding of the main actors of the tourism industry and recognize involved interactions;
- To widen training in advance methods and techniques of analysis and applied research to tourism;
- To exploit available resources at UALG to develop a theoretical and applied research group affiliated to the degree, offering international projection.
The ful tuition price for local/EU and International/Non-EU students is 6600 EUR.
About this institute
University of Algarve
The University of Algarve (Portugal) is a young public university, with a student population with more than 8,000 and employs over 700 academics. In these last three decades, the University of Algarve has consolidated the link established with the regional...
Want to know more about PhD in Tourism? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!