University of Pretoria
The University of Pretoria (UP) is one of Africa’s top universities and the largest contact university in South Africa. We produce socially impactful research to find solutions for the world’s most pressing issues.
Being one of the largest research universities in South Africa means that we work on finding solutions to problems faced by society. We attract students from around the world who want to work and study at our excellent facilities with our world-class researchers.
UP has nine Faculties that enrol undergraduate and postgraduate students as well as the Gordon Institute of Business Science (GIBS).
The nine Faculties are:
- Faculty of Economic and Management Sciences
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Engineering, Build Environment and Information Technology
- Faculty of Health Sciences
- Faculty of Humanities
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Natural and Agricultural Sciences
- Faculty of Theology and Region
- Faculty of Veterinary Science
World First and First in Africa
UP researchers conduct innovative cutting-edge research that is responsive to national and global needs. UP is at the forefront of tertiary education and collaborates with world-class partners to ensure continued excellence in research, teaching and learning. The university makes use of state-of-the-art technologies in research, teaching and service delivery.
Some of the outstanding achievements of UP are given below:
- A team at the Faculty of Health Sciences performed the world’s first middle-ear transplant using 3-D printed bones
- A lioness gave birth to two cubs conceived via non-surgical artificial insemination, the first in the world. Thanks to a team of researchers from the Mammal Research Institute and Faculty of Veterinary Science
- UP researchers were part of the international team that used a global network of antennas to make the first image of black hole.
- UP is the first university in Africa to collaborate with initiatives for science , innovation , Territories , and economy and the Montpellier University of Excellence (I-SITE MUSE)
- UP has the first client service robot known to be in use in any university in Africa.
- UP has the first Library MakerSpace in South Africa, a creative laboratory where people with ideas can get together with people who have the technical ability to make those ideas become a reality.
Teaching and Learning
We have a high quality of teaching and learning in the classroom, online and in communities. We have support in place for our students to graduate on time as well-rounded, responsible citizens who are fully prepared for the world beyond university. Our degrees are locally accredited and internationally recognised. We have agreements in place with the relevant legal accreditation bodies around the world, which means that, with UP behind your name, your qualification will always be recognised.
We pride ourselves on encouraging innovation by ensuring that UP innovators’ inventions are well patent by the Technology Transfer Office (TTO). The TTO has been involved in the creation of more than ten start-up companies, which employ more than 200 people, the majority of whom are UP graduates.
Make Today Matter. Study at UP.
Find out more about University of Pretoria by filling in your details and the school will contact you.
Student services & facilities
Postgraduate student support
We know that postgraduate studies by research or coursework can be overwhelming; we therefore provide holistic academic, administrative and financial support to our postgraduate students in order to enable them to complete their studies successfully and timeously. Through the FlyHigher@UP programme, the Graduate Support Hub runs comprehensive research capacity strengthening activities in collaboration with the Department of Library Services, Faculties and supervisors. The support offered to students covers the full postgraduate life-cycle, from recruitment to graduation.
The Department of Residence Affairs and Accommodation, fondly referred to as the TuksRes Family, is a stand-alone business unit, with various management teams serving residence students.
With 10 000 students in our accommodation spaces, the University of Pretoria is proud to be known as the largest residential university in South Africa.
By having a broad structure like TuksRes, one is able to manage the various needs of our student sector living in a residence.
Average rating 4.7Based on 3 reviews.
University of Pretoria
Want to get more information about this institute and its programs? Fill out the following form and we'll pass it on directly to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
MDIV Theology is an all round transformational course for any progressive and quality minded person.